MICROSOFT ENDING SUPPORT FOR WINDOWS 7
by Juanita Nester, IT Support Specialist
Someone once said, “All good things must come to an end,” and that applies to technology too. After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7. But you can keep the good times rolling by moving to Windows 10.
What does this mean for your business? You can continue to use Windows 7, but once support ends, your PC will become more vulnerable to security risks. Windows will operate but you will stop receiving security and feature updates. To avoid security risks and viruses, Microsoft recommends that you consider upgrading to Windows 10.
What do you need to do to prepare to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10? Upgrading to a new operating system takes time and careful planning, particularly if you have numerous machines and systems impacted. A smooth and successful transition to a new operating system requires the following:
- Identify machines that require upgrades or replacement.
- Identify and consider replacing legacy systems using older operating systems and/or software with updated technology.
- Develop a timeline and budget for upgrades and replacements.
- Implement security controls to separate critical systems from Windows 7 machines that cannot be upgraded or removed.
- Plan for employee training to learn the new system.
Seltek Technologies can assist with planning and creating a schedule for the transition. We can assist with implementing a number of solutions that will enable a smooth transition to Windows 10 operating system.
Contact Kay to get started! 804-360-4490 X20.